Every homeowner needs to have the contacts of a Brisbane North electrician because you never know when you may need their services. Some people make the mistake of waiting until things go terribly wrong before they call in an electrician. Others opt to do quick fixes instead of calling an electrician when they notice a problem in order to save money. But this is not advisable as electricity can be very dangerous; it can lead to fires or electric shocks to people in the house, which can be fatal. Below are signs that you need to call an electrician.But this is not advisable as electricity can be very dangerous; it can lead to fires or electric shocks to people in the house, which can be fatal. Below are signs that you need to call an electrician.
- Wear and tear – If you have any damaged switches or exposed wires in your house, you should definitely call an electrician to sort this out. It might not seem like a big deal but damaged electrical appliances are a serious safety hazard.
- Insufficient power outlets – Is your house full of multi-plug outlets and plug strips? This clearly shows that you do not have enough power outlets for all your needs and it is possible that you are overworking your electrical system. That’s why you need to call an electrician to assess your home’s power needs and upgrade your system if need be so that it can comfortably meet all your power needs. The electrician will install more power outlets and might even recommend installing an additional service panel depending on the results of the assessment.
- Tripped circuit breakers and blown fuses – Circuit breakers and fuses help by stopping the flow of current when it is higher than the system can handle. If the fuses blow often and circuit breakers regularly trip, this also is a sign that you are overworking your electrical system. Your service panel may need to be upgraded and this a complex task that requires a competent electrician.
- Insufficient lighting – If you need to install more lighting fixtures either indoors or outdoors, you definitely need the help of an electrician. Your electrician will advise you on the best lighting fixtures for your needs and the best placement.
- Your system is incompatible with your electrical appliances – This is common in older homes. For instance, all your sockets may only accept two-pronged plugs but most appliances today have three-pronged plugs. You should call an electrician to upgrade your system and make all the necessary changes so that you can comfortably use your appliances.
- If your home is over 20 years old, it might be a good idea to have your whole system replaced by an electrician. A lot of changes have been made over the years to make homes safer and you could be putting yourself and your family in danger without knowing it. Your home may also be in violation of many of the new building codes that have to do with electrical systems. For example, the outlets in wet areas such as the bathroom and kitchen need to be protected by ground fault circuit interrupters. Your old home is probably in violation of this code if you have not upgraded your electrical system in a long time.