Wondering about the itinerary for the tour this summer? Have you considered the ‘Queen of the Nilgiri Hills’ – yes, we are talking about Ooty, or to make it bookish- Udhagamandalam. The picturesque hill station in Tamil Nadu.
Ooty happens to be one of the most visited hill resorts in India and is the destination of tourists from all over the world throughout the year. The resort is at a height of about 2240 metres above sea level, and is packed with the most romantic spots on the Blue Hills.
How can you reach Ooty?
There are many options by which you may reach Ooty:
- If you decide to travel by Air, you may reach Coimbatore, which is the nearest domestic airport. Ooty is very well connected with Coimbatore as many tour packages from Coimbatore are operative all through the year. Flights to Coimbatore are many from almost all the metros in India, especially Chennai, Bengaluru and Mumbai. For your information, Bengaluru is just 295 kilometres from Coimbatore.From Coimbatore, you may take a bus or a taxi to reach Ooty in 1 hour.
- If travelling by train, you have to get down at Mettupalyam, whichis 40 kilometres from Ooty. Trains ply regularly between Chennai, Bengaluru, Mysore and Coimbatore on the one hand and Mettupalyam on the other. Some of the more popular trains in this route to reach Mettupalyam include:
- Mangalore Mail
- Mangalore Express
- MettupalyamUdagamandalam Passenger
If you want to make the journey more romantic and memorable, you can avail of the services of the Nilgiri Mountain train, a heritage train that takes you through a breath-taking landscape on the hills. You may also take a taxi from Mettupalyam to reach Ooty faster.
- You may also go to Ooty by bus. There are private and government luxury bus services to this beautiful hill station from Bengaluru, Chennai and Mysore. You reach Ooty overnight in these more or less comfortable bus services.
There is a government bus service from Calicut that will take you to Ooty in just 6 hours!
Major tourist attractions in Ooty
There are very good and inexpensive Ooty tour packages from Coimbatore. Once you reach Ooty, there are a host of places that should feature in your must – visit list, and many activities that you must do. Some of the most popular tourist attractions include:
- Ooty Lake and Boat House:A 2-km long lake is the centre of entertainment and activities for the visiting tourists. You can indulge in a nice boating trip. The lake, reflecting the surrounding green of the eucalyptuses and the hills on all sides, make for a sight that seems to be straight out of a shot taken in Switzerland.
- Dodabetta Peak: This is the highest peak of the Nilgiris and is a popular tourist attraction. It gives an outstanding view of the town and the scenery at the spot itself is also too good to be missed.
- Mukurthi National Park: Want to take a peek at the wildlife in the Nilgiris and the Western Ghats? You may find a Royal Bengal Tiger or a herd of Asian elephants passing by, if you are lucky. But one animal that you are sure to find is the NilgiriTahr.
So, what will be your plan to start the Ooty Trip?