Using a good mattress on a day to day basis is something we all would love to, but in due course of time, our beds get dirty, and it needs proper cleaning for ensuring a prolonged span of usage. There are proper measures which you should take and techniques that you should follow while cleaning your mattresses as not following the correct measures might damage it and harm its longevity.
Here are five steps that provide an insight on how to clean your mattress.
1) Vacuum Cleaning: This is one of the most used household processes for cleaning your mattress as it is the one that is used regularly , and the result it brings is optimum. The creases and bends that are found on your bed collects a lot of dust and food particles in the day to day usage, and using the vacuum cleaner help you to reach those nooks and corners to take out the particles from there. There are vacuum cleaners specially designed to clean your mattresses, and it comes along with the number of external attachments that you can use to get your job done.
2) Using baking soda: You don’t realize, but everyday usage accumulates sweat on the mattress, which creates a layer of odor. In due course of time, the intensity of the stench increases multifold , which then makes living in the room quite difficult. Using baking soda to clean your mattress is a right way of getting rid of the sweat smells. Gently sprinkle the baking soda on your mattress and let it sit for around 10minutes before cleaning it up.
3) Enzyme cleaner: Using enzyme cleaner is another process of cleaning your mattress. It is advised that you should not spray the enzyme cleaner directly onto your mattress as they are not designed for getting wet, especially the hybrid and the memory foam ones. You should first use the enzyme cleaner on a clean cloth and use it to soak up the stains of body fluids present on your bed, and after that leave it for around 15 minute, and then you can scrub it off or vacuum it as per your convenience.
4) Airing out: Once you have completed the previous process, it is a good idea to air out your mattress that is by opening the window inside your room or keeping it under direct sunlight as it helps in reducing the moist smell it gets due to daily usage. Sunlight acts as a natural protector in killing the bacteria and mold accumulation that happens on your bed as the UV rays directly helps in eradicating them. You should keep this process in mind and consider repeating it frequently as mold accumulation becomes a lot of hassle to clean up.
5) Rotation and Protection: You should flip and rotate your mattress after some point of time as it reduces the wear and tear on one side. It is advisable to rotate your mattress every 3 to 6 months of usage. You should also use some bed sheet or protector and avoid using the naked front of it as using a protector is going to ensure extra longevity and safeguard the main mattresses frontal layer from getting damaged easily. There are various kinds of covers available in the market which you can buy according to your bed’s size and use it so that your bed stays protected from accidental spills.
So, if you are planning to buy a mattress or have a bed to yourself, then these are the points that you definitely should keep in mind regarding cleaning your mattress for ensuring its longevity and using it for a prolonged period of time.