When it comes to visiting the dentist, you would notice that one of the most used instruments around would be the dental handpiece. These are devices that are used for various dental procedures. Hence, it is imperative that dentists invest in one that is durable and provides long-lasting results.
What is a dental handpiece?
Dental Handpiece Indicative of the name, the dental handpiece is defined as an instrument that is used for fixing dental issues. The tasks range from drilling to creating similar functions. However, these usually work with electricity or could be battery operated. There are a plethora of products available in the market. Here are some important aspects to decide, which one is the right for you-
Purpose of the device
One of the first and foremost factors to take into account here would be the usability. How functional is the device for you? Doing so requires assessment of the dental handpiece on the following criterion-
- Is the device lightweight and functional enough for the purpose? Some drilling pieces need to pierce deeper while the others do not have to penetrate so deep.
- Is there any special grip available? You want something that is fool-proof that would not slip or fall, as this can lead to injury and risks. Hence, make sure that you pick something that suits the grip or has an adjustable feature or so.
The next factor is the quality of the dental handpiece, you must want a material that is durable and yet suitable for low maintenance. One of the critical aspects of dental equipment is longevity. These do tend to cost a bit steep. So, you want to ensure that the piece lasts for years to come.
Hygiene is another critical aspect of the dental handpiece. All the dental equipment requires regular cleaning and hygiene measures. Since these devices and tools are shared between different patients, they go through rigorous cleaning and hygiene methods. This can be sterilizing or steaming. Thus, the material or the quality of the device should be at par with the same. These little things add to the bigger picture.
As mentioned earlier, the purpose of the dental handpiece varies from dentist to dentist and as per the treatment for the patients. Some treatments require higher speed while others do need to work at lower speeds too. Ideally, these applications have a set limit of 400,000 RPMS. This is particularly done to ensure that the patient is not at any kind of risk. There are choices of using air-driven low-speed ones that are suitable for minor procedures. High-speed ones are usually used for cutting tooth structure or even restoration procedures.
Some of the other factors that you may want to consider while selecting the handpiece are-
- Go for a dental handpiece that works on both electricity and battery. This gives the flexibility of movement and ability to bend hands as required.
- Also, do check the price and the warranty aspects. A device with a higher warranty period is suggested, as this would ensure replacement in case of breakage or other issues.
- Besides this, you should also check on the technical advancements on the dental handpiece. Some may seem very outdated but are still reliable tools and new ones that come with digital readings and settings that make operations easier.
On the whole, it is essential that you weigh the pros and cons of these dental handpieces. Then, on the basis of the features available, the costs and other similar aspects you can pick something that is durable. Pick something that gives meticulous results with smooth maneuvering.