Crowns and bridges are popular options for tooth restoration. However, most people may not know what they are or their benefits compared to other methods, such as dentures. Here is everything you should know about crowns and bridges, including reasons you should opt for this method. If you are around Hilliard, crowns are available at Innovative Dental Ideas. They offer all forms of dental implants and makeovers. Book an appointment today.
What are dental crowns made of?
Permanent dental crowns and bridges are made of materials such as:
- All resin: This material is not as durable as the others, but it is generally cheaper. It wears down after some time and will most likely break easily compared to the porcelain ones.
- Metal: Metals that can make dental crowns include chromium, gold, nickel, and palladium. This type of crown lasts the longest as it will rarely break or chip. Another advantage is that it requires only a small portion of the tooth to be removed when being fitted. However, their color cannot match the exact color of your natural teeth. This drawback makes them only suitable for the molars, as they are out of sight.
- Porcelain fused to metal: This type of tooth restoration crown gives a more realistic color of natural teeth. However, with contacting other teeth, the crown may start to chip or wear down teeth in the mouth. The metal placed under the porcelain may also show as a dark line, making them noticeable.
- All-porcelain or ceramic: These crowns have a significant advantage, especially to those who have metal allergies. They also match the exact color of your teeth, giving you that natural feel and look. They are the best choice for the front, showing teeth.
- Pressed ceramic: The pressed ceramic gives the crowns a hard inner core making them more lasting than the all-porcelain. This type also provides an exact natural teeth color match.
What are the benefits of crowns and bridges?
- Durability: The materials that make dental crowns are of high quality and stronger than the natural teeth. Also, studies prove that crowns last longest when compared to other restoration methods. Therefore, if you are looking for the most durable option, crowns are the way to go.
- Restoration: Sometimes, daily lifestyle habits may make our teeth start to wear down. The tooth may also get weaker after a root canal treatment. A dental crown is the most suitable option to protect such a tooth. The crown will also restore the tooth’s structure giving you back a confident smile.
- Esthetics: Crowns are used for physical protection of the tooth and some cosmetic aspects. They are made to match the neighboring tooth’s color, making them feel and look as natural as possible.
- Restores functionality: With crowns and bridges, you can once again eat and chew like before. Your speech clarity is also restored, giving you back your full confidence.
- Even distribution of force: A bridge structure enhances equal force distribution when eating, making sure you are as comfortable as possible.
Specialists at Innovative Dental Ideas can install crowns with just two appointments. The first visit will be to make an impression of your tooth, while the next one will be to install the permanent crown. If you need any dental services, do not wait any longer. Book an appointment today.