The use of cow hides dates back to centuries. When people started to raise their own cattle, they used to dispose of the skin of the cows once they died. But later, they realized that the skin can be used as a fabric. Once the cow is dead, the skin is carefully removed, and it is used in its most natural state. The hair if used has to be cleaned in a correct manner so that it is soft and odorless. The softness of the hairs is obtained through a mechanical process. Other than that, for other hides, the hair is removed and then the process of tanning takes place. The drying process is hundred percent natural. After the tanning is complete, the hides can be designed, colored and embossed as per the requirement. Often, cowhides are colored or even metal studs are added.
The quality of the hides depends on a number of factors like how healthy the cow was, the way it has been tanned, processed and manufactured. You might not believe but the way the cow was kept, the environmental conditions and the different conditions under which the cow was treated affect the quality of the hides. Cowhides are one of the most used hides.
It Is Used In A Number Of Applications. Some Applications Of Cow Hides Are Given Below:
- Floor Covering -cow hides can perform well in places where intense traffic is present like business places or at homes. The floor covered with cow hides which becomes a really fashionable covering.
- Room Décor – The dullest room can become interesting with a little effort of the homeowner. Cow hides can make any room seem interesting and can add texture and color to the dull room.
- Bed Cover – People who live in cold places can benefit from the cow hide by using it as a bed cover. It keeps the people warm and provides them comfort. Along with bed cover, it can also be used as a pet bed. It also keeps your pet comfortable and because of its properties is stain resistant.
- Furniture – These cow hides are pretty versatile. It can be used as a tabletop or as a cover for your couch set. These add an element of texture and comfort to your furniture. Not only do they start looking better but also prevents any direct damage to the furniture set.
- Apparels – Cow hides can be used for bags, boots, vests, jackets, gloves and even purses.
The cow hides are popular and are of great demand because of its numerous properties. The properties of cow hides are given below:
- Cow hides are waterproof. You can use it at various places without worrying about the damage done to it by water.
- These hides are durable in nature.
- Cow hides do not wear or tear easily. They can be used under extreme conditions roughly without worrying about its damage.
- These hides are thick in nature.
- Even they are strong and thick in nature, they are also flexible. These hides can be used in multiple ways.
- These hides are breathable and supple in nature.
- As the cow hides are used as a fabric, they are also used as materials of jackets or shrugs. They are very comfortable to wear, and people find them stylish.
- The hide can be colored in a number of colors. It can be used as naturally as well. Hence it is pretty versatile. It can be dyed or used in its most natural way.
Thus, according to the properties mentioned, their uses can range for a wide variety. They add an element of uniqueness and texture wherever it is used.