After getting braces on your teeth, it indeed demands additional care and protection in order to prevent stains, gum diseases and decay. Proper precautions are of utmost importance, ensuring that you don’t damage the braces. For instance, do not eat too sweet or sticky food, breath excessively through your mouth, bite your lips or push the tongue against the alignment of teeth. The more careful you are with the process, the more effective will be the results of teeth braces.
To help you out through the process, this article reveals five exceptional tips that must be considered when you want to make the most out of your braces.
How to Take Care of Your Teeth and Braces?
You need to realize that with braces, you have to take care of not just your teeth but even the quality of the braces. Some of the key tips that would allow you to do the same are as follows:
- Brushing: Even though the standard oral care regime stipulates that you should brush twice a day, but when it comes to braces the frequency increases to once after every meal. The main reason behind this is that food particles often get trapped within the braces, and the longer they remain there, the higher get the risk of severe dental problems.
- Consider what you eat: As mentioned in the beginning, you have to be careful about what to eat after having braces. Too starchy or sugary foods can build-up plaque at the brackets, staining the teeth and ultimately causing cavities. You must avoid sticky foods, especially caramel, corn, taffy, chewing gum or dried fruits- all of these can stick to the teeth braces and would be tough to remove.
- Proper cleaning methods: Practice proper cleaning methods such as flossing at least once a day. When you floss, make sure that the wires reach not only across the braces but even under its wires as well. So as to floss effortlessly you can use orthodontic flosser or floss threader. Plus, waxed floss glide smoothly between the teeth and thus they won’t snag on the braces.
- Drink water frequently: Water is one of the best ways to keep the teeth braces clean and keep your mouth free from bacterial infestation. Thus, it’s a great habit to drink a glass of water immediately after you have finished your meal, as it removes debris easily.
- Only use soft-bristled brush: You must have heard this often, dentists strongly recommend soft-bristled brush for cleaning your teeth, rather than the traditional brushes. As, the harsh bristles seen in the usual brushes can damage the delicate parts of the braces.
What to Expect from Your Teeth Braces?
Life with braces does not have to be that difficult. Simple care and the right range of dental products are more than enough to conquer this journey with perfection. When you get the braces then there are certain things that will happen. They are:
- General soreness is experienced for about three to five days, while the tongue and lips might be irritated for about an hour to a day, after the teeth braces are fixed.
- Throughout the treatment, the teeth are loosened so that it is able to move to the desired position. At the end what you get is fixed, rigid and corrected teeth.
- For successful treatment you have to follow a customized plan offered by your orthodontist. These are typically designed considering the special needs of your teeth and the conditions that they might be prone to.
There you have it! Follow the quick and easy maintenance tips mentioned above and you will have the teeth of your dreams without any complications.