Most of us want a contemporary home that is modern, aesthetically pleasing and functional. Because of this, homeowners start to think about renovating their home. Different homeowners have different reasons why they may be doing home renovations. It might be because you are bored with your house and want to make it functional and beautiful or want to get rid of items that are old. Also, it might be because you plan to sell the home within the next few years and want to increase the value.
Regardless of your reason, safety should be the first thing on your mind. Even though renovating your home can be an exciting time, it is sometimes tough especially for families. To ensure that you and your family don’t get hurt during renovations, we are going to discuss 4 ways to stay safe while doing home renovations.
Safety Standards to Follow During Home Renovations
1. Start With Safety
As we have previously mentioned, safety should be your number one priority before and during a home renovation. Some of the basic tips you need to follow are:
- Look out for building materials that are hazardous.
- Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes, earplugs to protect your ears, right shoes and clothing, breathing masks and gloves when necessary.
- To ensure safe working environment call on certified professional to help you put off the gas and electricity when needed.
- Use plastic sheets to cover the floor, and you can seal off parts of the house you are not renovating to contain fumes, waste, and dust.
- Do not eat near the part of the home you are renovating. Also, ensure you wash your face and hands before you consume any food.
- Check the condition of the tools you will use before you use them.
- Beware of asbestos and leave removal to professionals.
2. Create A Space To Live
If you and your family are staying, then it will be unreasonable not to make proper accommodations throughout the entire period of renovation. It is obvious that you will need a space for peaceful sleep, prepare food, do homework, use the bathroom, and some other basic things.
Fortunately, you can’t renovate the whole space in your home at once. It is one room at a time. This gives you the opportunity to stay in the other room you are not working on yet. If you want to renovate the room, you can move to the next available room. Outdoor grills, toaster ovens, crock pots, griddles, utility sinks and portable coffee makers are perfect for your makeshift kitchen. An extra bathroom can also be a great option.
3. Have Good Ventilation And Protect Your Space From Dust
When doing home renovations, dust is inevitable, especially from plaster, insulation, sanding or drywall. Your airways and lungs can be irritated, and it can cause illness. Ensure that your workspace is properly ventilated. You can open doors and windows or limit the irritation from the dust or fumes by using a fan. Even though your temporary living space can’t be completely protected from the renovation activities, ensure you do everything possible to protect your space from dust.
Clean your workspace at the end of each day and ensure you seal off any vent or duct in the area. Also, plastic barriers between living space and workspace will work.
4. Move Out
Even though living in can be cheaper, moving out can be safer. When you move out during home renovation, there are some advantages attached. These are:
- You will avoid noise and dust.
- It can help shorten the timeline of projects because you won’t be a distraction to pros.
- You will find staying out in the family home in hotels more pleasant than a renovation site.
However, some projects will require you to move during a home renovation. Any renovating project that will occupy more than half of your home is worth moving out. Some of these projects are major mold or asbestos removals, major roof remodeling, and flooring finishing. In case you need to move your furniture and some other belongings; some trustworthy, experienced rental companies offer trailer hire in Campbelltown.
Whether you move out or live in during your next home renovation, the 4 ways to stay safe while doing home renovations discussed above should help keep you from danger. During remodeling, you can also keep your valuables safe by using security systems such as motion sensors and monitors. Make life easier during home renovations with equipment hire such as trailer hire Campbelltown. Contact your nearest tool hire store today to see how they can help you!